Reflect

Reflect
American Widgeon

Friday, April 15, 2011

another first...

This feels wierd a bit. I mean, I've written lots of things in my life - even some journals - but never a blog.

What has gotten into me? Why a blog...? Good question. I'm inspired, partly, by Lynnell who has a blog and writes so beautifully. And partly by the fact that I will have to blog for work and that'll have to be pretty vanilla - and I'm more chocolate with chocolate chips added. So, here I am feeling my way through it all...much like wandering in the dark from the bathroom back to bed at 3:30 in the morning.

So many things to write...but lost as to where to start. I could start off with my "renter" situation that currently has me peeved. Or, I could write about work and how "tired" I am of "things." Then again, I could write about my love of photography and how much I've missed it lately. I could also write about my love and future, Lynnell. Simply stated, she's changed my life for the better and I will always be grateful and will always feel the butterflys around her. Or, how I have some great kids who keep me young - yet still seem to contribute to my gray hair :-).

I think with this first post, I'll write about my Mom. We lost her February 12 of this year. She had only just turned 65 and had retired. My gut feeling is her body realized she didn't have to get up and go to work anymore and decided it was done.

Emphysema is what took her in the end. It was incredibly sad to witness her lying in bed at the hospital for the four days I was there. With the whole family there (Dad, Matt & Chris, their wives and Lynnell), there were lots of tears and laughs and of course stories. From Mom hollering for us with her patened Woo-Hooo to the "look" when you were in trouble to her lasagne and huge garden in Yankton...good times.

I think of her often. I think of Dad on the Pennisula, alone in the house, missing her. It is a big change for him but I'm proud of him--he seems to be holding his own (I think he's got great friends at the beach who help him!)

The other day, Wednesday I think, driving home I had an incredibly sad moment. I had 'had a day' and was going call Mom to chat, as I did from time to time in situations like these. I picked the phone and just then realized she wasn't there to call. It was a lonely moment...However, instead of pissing and moaning about it I just called Dad and had a good short conversation. I don't know what I'll do when he is gone...but I'm not thinking that way today. I am very thankful I still have one of my parents with me.

Okay, from what I understand a blog is short, quick thoughts and I certainly feel like I've written a short book in this first attempt. I'm sure I'll be here often...then again, maybe not.

My gut is I'll be here talking about life, family and hopefully a lot of photography.

Til next time...Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment