Reflect

Reflect
American Widgeon

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Okay, no more 2 word posts...and visions of vacation dancing in my head

I feel like I can always write a book here but my last entry was short and sweet to say the least. So, the dogs (Dakota and Bosco) destroyed a few Easter Baskets and ALL the chocolate that went in them...ugh! The more I re-think that whole scenario (that initially seemed funny and now so-not-funny), the more it ticks me off.

Today was blood-letting appointment at the Red Cross. So, I gave at 9:30 and by 2:30 I'd hit a huge wall and had to scramble a bit to rehydrate. I don't know how much longer I will have to give blood weekly but by Hemoglobin level was down to 11.6 (and that means they can't keep and use the blood!) If I drop under 11 I can't have blood drawn. Can't say I'd be too disappointed to miss a week.

The closer vacation gets, the more anxious I am to be leaving. Normally I stress over missed work but this time...not so much. I'm looking forward to Zion, Bryce, Arches....just think of all the photo opportunties!! It certainly runs through my head a lot about how I'm going to get near enough quality time in each location to get the shots I dream of!! As Lynnell says, "this trip is like a taste of things to come" meaning she believes Moab and the area will be a place we'll want to visit over and over. Heck, I already know I want to go back when I can get some pics of snow in that landscape. Amazing country for certain.

I had to let one of my employees go late last week. For obvious reasons I can't write to much about it, but let me just say that it was a very hard thing to do. Change, sometimes, can be hard. In this instance, it was both very hard and needed. The team here will take a couple of days to get their feet under them but I have no doubt they'll soar and do great.

Seeing the staff grow, as I have over the last couple of years, is rewarding. Of course other days I say a lot of four-letter words and choice phrases about the merits of owning a small company. It is a wild ride for sure.

One thing that has helped maintain my sanity is Lynnell. We've had a couple of great weekends together that I wouldn't trade for anything. She is my best friend and I am a lucky man...

The other thing that has helped my sanity is getting back to taking pictures and working on my website, http://www.jayhowardphotography.com/. It is a passion that sometimes borders on a sickness/tunnel vision.

I thank God that Lynnell is a picture person too and that she is so encouraging of me in my pusuit of this passion...(but I'm sure there are evenings where she'd like me to step away from the laptop and give her that attention though.) She is the best thing in my life and I'm very thankful. With her, I feel even more like I can accomplish whatever I want.

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment